Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Trout Spey Rod


Finally Sage will be coming out with 11′ 2wt & 3wt (200-250gr) true trout spey! When I first acquired my Sage ONE 4wt Switch, I did secretly wish that they would produce a lower weight double hand rod that I can enjoy for smaller fish. Now they are finally doing it.

Sage ONE 4wt Switch is one of my all time favorite rod for its lightness and great response. When ONE 4116-4 first came out, it was labelled a trout Switch rod. I think Sage had big Alaskan Rainbow trout in mind when they did that. It is definitely not your typical small river trout rod as the power level is way too high for small river trout. Now that Winston came out with the 3wt MicroSpey, I think Sage is finally taking heed. Not sure if Sage will be putting these rods under the Sage ONE banner but I suspect so.
**22 June update: It's confirmed...these 2 & 3wt trout Spey will be under Sage ONE banner.

It seems Mike Mccune is testing the final version of these new rods. To boot, RIO is also coming up with "trout Skagit" line to match these rods. You can read all about it here.



3 comments:

  1. So many nice new rods. If they are as good as the 4116 then worth looking at. Would be interested in your views if you get a chance to try one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      I too look forward to trying out the rod if only I can get my hand on it soon :)
      If you like to play with a good 2/3wt trout switch that doesn't break the bank, I highly recommend the Cabela CZN 4wt 11' rod. This rod makes an excellent trout switch rod casting 150 - 215 grain line but you will need to convert the handle from single to double hand. I have been using this rod for a while now and I absolutely love it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks I will look at that as an option

      Delete